When our nervous system gets a hit and we notice, stress, overwhelm, and trouble sleeping; along with a moment for self care before bed with Abhyanga (Self Massage with Warm Oil) followed by a bath, I like to offer this grounding, immunity strength and vitality (Ojas) building night time tonic.
What you need:
- Pre soaked dates - peeled and pitted
(Sweet, Grounding and SattvicU2F0dHZpYyBtZWFucyA8c3Ryb25nPjxlbT50cnVlIGVzc2VuY2U8L2VtPjwvc3Ryb25nPi4gQ2FsbSwgc2VyZW5lLCBwZWFjZWZ1bC4gSXQgcmVwcmVzZW50cyBxdWFsaXRpZXMgbGlrZSBzdHJlbmd0aCBvZiBjaGFyYWN0ZXIsIHdpc2RvbSwgYW5kIGJyaWxsaWFuY2UuDQoNCk9uZSBvZiB0aGUgdGhyZWUgKDMpIHVuaXZlcnNhbCBxdWFsaXRpZXMgb3IgZ3VuYXM6IHNhdHR2YSwgcmFqYXMsIGFuZCB0YW1hcyBhbmQgYXJlIGV4cHJlc3NlZCB0aHJvdWdoIGFsbCBhc3BlY3RzIG9mIGxpZmUu)
- Pre soaked almonds - skinless preferred
- Spices! - Turmeric, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Pepper (Optional: Saffron)
Turmeric is, well, the bee's knees ;) - Grounding, healing, Sattvic
Cardamom promotes life force energy flow, Sattvic - and is one of my favorite flavors!
Cinnamon helps with the warm and cozy - promotes circulation
Nutmeg promotes sound sleep (only use a little)
Pepper partners well with Turmeric, warming
Saffron promotes assimilation into deeper tissues, is Sattvic and gives energy to love.
What to do:
- Add the spices to a mortar and pestle. You can adjust the amounts to your liking.
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1/2 tsp (or more) Cardamom
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1/8 tsp Nutmeg
Sprinkle of Pepper
(Optional) 3-4 strands of Saffron
- Blend milk (or milk alternative), dates, almonds. You can also add some of date water if you like.
- Heat the ghee & coconut. (low/ medium)
- Add the spices and let simmer until you start to smell the aroma of the spices (for a few mins)
- Add Milk mixture to the sautéed spices and stir. Heat for a few more minutes.
- Pour in your favorite mug.
Enjoy the warm hug!